14 October 2010

Italian Sausage Vegetable Soup

1 lb. Italian Sausage (I use turkey sausage)

1 medium onion, chopped

3 carrots, diced

3 zucchini, diced

6 c. chicken broth or 6 c. water and 6 bullion cubes

1 (28 0z.) can crushed tomatoes (I didn’t have any when I made this tonight, so I used diced canned tomatoes and it turned out just fine.)

1 t. dried basil

1 t. oregano

salt and pepper to taste

1 c. uncooked orzo

Brown meat with onion.  Drain if needed.  Add other ingredients (except orzo) and bring to a boil.  Add orzo and cook for 20 minutes.  Serve topped with Parmesan cheese.  Serve with Pesto Bread and Pumpkin Snickerdoodle Cookies for dessert.

Side note… I was going to take a picture, but I’ve run out of gas.  Evelyn asked if there was zuckiwi in the soup.  She always combines zucchini and kiwi when refering to either. 

3 comments:

SuSu said...

I forget.........what time is dinner?

Karen said...

I am SO making those cookies this weekend. I'm printing up the recipe this very minute. Yummmo!

erin said...

Oh yes! That is a favorite of mine---thanks to you! Turkey sausage is a good idea.