24 October 2010

Candy Bar Cookie Bars…

We were invited to friends for dinner tonight and I offered to bring a treat.  (Seeing that I haven’t been to the store in about a week and a half, I didn’t have much to offer.)  I found this recipe in The Ultimate Cookie Book and thought it looked tasty and really easy.

  • 1 c. packed brown sugar
  • 2/3 c. butter
  • 1/4 c. dark or light color corn syrup
  • 1/4 c. peanut butter
  • 1 t. vanilla
  • 3 1/2 c. rolled oats (the recipe called for quick, I used regular.)
  • 1 12-oz. package semisweet chocolate chips (Again, I used my favorite Hershey’s Special Dark.)
  • 1 c. butterscotch chips (I think I only had 1/2 c. and they turned out fine.)
  • 2/3 c. peanut butter
  • 1 c. chopped peanuts
  1. Preheat oven to 375.  In a medium saucepan heat and stir brown sugar, butter, and corn syrup over medium-low heat until smooth.  Remove from the heat.  Stir in the 1/4 c. peanut butter and vanilla; stir until smooth.
  2. For crust, place oats in a very large bowl.  Pour brown sugar mixture over oats, stirring gently until combined.  Press oat mixture into the bottom of an ungreased 13x9 pan.  Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until edges are light brown.  Cool slightly in pan on a wire rack.
  3. In the same saucepan heat and stir chocolate chips and butterscotch chips over low heat until smooth.  Stir in the 2/3 c. peanut butter until smooth.
  4. Sprinkle half of the peanuts over the crust.  (Oops, I missed this step and put them all on the top.)  Slowly pour chocolate mixture over the peanuts, spreading evenly.  Sprinkle the remaining peanuts over top.  Cool completely in pan on a wire rack until firm.  (I popped them in the fridge.)  Cut into 1-inch squares.

No comments: