09 October 2010

Granola

I’ve seen a lot of recipes for homemade granola out there in internet recipe land, so I thought I would give it a try.  I found a couple of recipes I liked, so I combined them.  Here is the end result, tweak as you like…

  • 6 c. rolled oats (not quick or instant)
  • 1 c. raw sunflower seeds
  • 1 1/3 c. raw pumpkin seeds001 copy
  • 1 1/3 c. oat bran
  • 1 1/4 c. wheat bran
  • 1 c. wheat germ
  • 1 1/4 c. unsweetened coconut
  • 1 c. raw sesame seeds
  • 1 c. flax seeds
  • 1 1/2 c. raw almonds
  • 1 c. raw pecans

Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl and set aside.

  • 1 1/2 c. brown sugar 002 copy 2
  • 1 1/2 c. water
  • 1 1/2 c. coconut oil
  • 1 1/2 c. honey
  • 1/2 c. molasses
  • 1 1/2 t. salt
  • 2 t. cinnamon
  • 3 t. vanilla
  • 1 c. craisins (added at the end of the baking time.)

Combine everything but the craisins in a sauce pan and cook until the sugar is dissolved- do not boil.  Pour syrup over the dry ingredients and mix well.  Bake @ 300 for 60-70 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes.  (I also rotated my pans every time I took them out to stir.)  Add the craisins after the 3rd stir.  Let granola cool in the pan, stirring every so often.  Store in an air tight container.  It’s yummy to snack on plain or with milk or yogurt for breakfast.  (Or an after dinner snack like Crazy 3 is having right now.)

***  Winco has a great bulk food section.  I was able to find everything I needed for this recipe.  ***

2 comments:

Karen said...

Where is the chocolate in this recipe? ;-)

briana said...

yummy! where do you find the time?