13 October 2008

Beef Stew

I made some really yummy stew on Saturday afternoon. In fact Rick said it was the best stew he had ever had. Yippee! I don't think I had actually ever made stew before, but it was cold and rainy/slushing and I thought it was a perfect day for it. I found the recipe here- http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Beef-Stew-VI/Detail.aspx

I thought I would type it out anyway, just to make it easier. I did use some of the reader suggestions, so I will type it how I made it. The things in italics are the changes, either mine or the reader suggestions.
  • 2 pounds cubed beef stew meat (I didn't have quite this much)
  • 1/4 c. flour
  • 1 t. garlic powder
  • 1 t. onion powder
  • 1/2 t. pepper
  • 3 big cloves garlic, sliced or coarsely minced
  • 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 4 cubes beef bouillon, crumbled
  • 4 cups water
  • 1 teaspoon dried rosemary (I used about a T. of fresh rosemary, chopped)
  • 1 teaspoon dried parsley (I forgot this)
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 3 large potatoes, peeled and cubed (I used 5, they were on the small side)
  • 4 carrots, cut into 1 inch pieces (I used baby carrots, just eye balled the amount)
  • 4 stalks celery, cut into 1 inch pieces (I used 5)
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 1 T. Ketchup
  • 1 T. A-1
  • 1 T. Worcestershire
  • 2 teaspoons cornstarch
  • 2 teaspoons cold water
DIRECTIONS
  1. In a large pot or dutch oven, cook beef in oil over medium heat until brown. (Before browning the meat, mix the flour, garlic powder, onion powder and pepper in bag and toss the meat to coat.) I also cooked my garlic just slightly before adding my meat. Dissolve bouillon in water and pour into pot. Stir in rosemary, parsley and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer 1 hour.
  2. Stir potatoes, carrots, celery, and onion into the pot. Dissolve cornstarch in 2 teaspoons cold water and stir into stew. Cover and simmer 1 hour more.
  3. Once my meat was browned I added my liquid and then added things in stages as I prepped them. My meat didn't need 2 hours to get tender. I don't think mine cooked much over an hour and 15 minutes. I thickened mine at the end, once all the veggies were cooked. If you don't like your gravy as thick, the flour thickens it just enough that the cornstarch might not be needed.

A little nod to Rachael Ray with the GB.

Pumpkin Oatmeal Cookies
recipe to follow....

3 comments:

Kimberly said...

I love it! I think it is so fun to put posts up like this, don't you?

The Bach 10 said...

Thanks.. When it comes to cooking I need all the help I can get. Easy is great!

Jenn said...

Amy, you're the best!! I will try it out and let you know.