07 October 2008

I've Done It....

Now lets hope I can continue to do it and that he can do it. I know he can... Lets back up here. Sam is 3 1/2 and not potty trained. For any of you that have changed 3 1/2 year old poop, it isn't fun. Frankly, I'm tired of it. Nothing motivates him, not even chocolate. Evelyn, on the other had, was saying, "I NEED chocit!" at an early age. He simply doesn't care if he sits in his own waste for hours on end. I don't think to change him as often as his brother and he doesn't think to tell me that he is poopy. So today before lunch when I was changing him (one of 3 poopy diapers today) I told him that when the diapers where gone I wasn't getting any more. I've had enough. I really talked it up and told him how big of a boy he is and that he could do it. When we first tried to do this, we told him that once he didn't wear diapers anymore, that we could go to the store and get Mac (from the movie Cars). He liked that idea, went once and thought that was it. lol! No, no, we said you have to go all the time and wear undies. That motivation didn't last. He would talk about it from time to time, but not do anything about it. He will finally go and sit on the potty, that's something that has really only been happening for the last couple of months. Before that, he wouldn't go near it. He acted deathly afraid of it. I know you can't push it, but I know that he gets it now. It goes back to the whole he just doesn't care. Rick finally broke down and went and bought a bunch of Match Box cars, it seemed to be the only motivator. He would get 1 if he told us he had to go and went in and actually did it. He would have 2 if he pooped. Even though he LOVES cars, even that motivator was hit and miss. That's why I have decided that he needs a push. I might be pulling my hair out by the end of the week, but here goes. I really need to clean my carpets, but I think I should probably hold off...

2 comments:

SuSu said...

Oh, Amy, Amy, Amy......I'll be thinking of you....but please keep your hair, you look better that way!

Fulkerson Clan said...

amy, i too was in your shoes earlier this year with a 3 and a half year old that would not poop in the potty. you totally have my sympathy! perhaps you need some 3rd party advice, have you tried talking to your pediatrician yet about it? that's what finally worked for us, i followed his advice and that made the difference (especially when bribes, threats and everything in between did not work!! heck, i even at one point recall promising a trip to disneyland if the kid went i was that desperate!)good luck!